January 26, 2012

A Meal and a Message

I know this is going to be shocking to most of you that know me, but I, Amber Marie Dunn Gilliam, am beginning to actually "get in" to cooking.  I know, I know...  Several of you have just fainted away.

I am a lot of things...but a cook is NOT one of them.  And it's not because I don't like to eat, but it's because I HATE cleaning.  HATE. IT.  If kitchens cleaned themselves after we cooked, you wouldn't be able to get me out of the kitchen...and I'd be posting about my continuous struggle with weight loss (HAHA).

For Christmas, I requested...no, I BEGGED for a new set of pots and pans.  There really was nothing wrong with the ones I've had for 13 years, other than they were "stainless" steel and not non-stick so cleaning them was even more of a nuisance.  Well, my mom heard my cry and bought me the Paula Dean cookware set!!  :)



I also got a new cookbook.  This is actually my 2nd cookbook.  The first one I got several years ago.  It's for crock pot cooking.  I do not own a crock pot.  Yeah.  The first cookbook is totally useless to me at this point in my life.  Never fear...I do have plans to buy one--I just keep forgetting.

My mom and I made a trip to Ponca City to a book signing.  Not just any book signing.  We met Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman!  I follow her blog, follow her on Facebook, on Twitter and Instagram. Yeah, she pretty much intrigues me.  I am fascinated at how this one woman can do SO much!  She home schools her children, cooks and has a cooking show, she blogs, she does photography, she lives on a cattle ranch, writes books and SO MUCH MORE!  I thought I was a busy lady--but compared to her, I am a sloth.




I actually assisted mom with dinner one night and made Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes.  This was my second attempt at preparing a PW recipe.  My sister and I prepared a meal for New Years day that consisted of PW's mashed potatoes, PW's Chicken Fried Steak.  I will say this one thing about her cooking--if you are lactose intolerant, you CANNOT eat this food.  They are loaded with dairy, cream and cream.  L  O  A  D  E  D.  But sooooo delish.




So, 2012 looks to be an adventure into the realms of cooking for me.  Which frightens and excites me.  I am hopeful that some of the new recipes I've discovered can be converted into more Weight Watcher friendly versions--otherwise, I'll be posting whine-fests about how I cannot seem to lose any more weight!  HAHA!

**********

This is just a quick note to say that my brother is awesome.  I've known this for a long while.  Well, probably since we were kids.  Aaron was "the good kid" and the only boy, so he was SUPER special.  Like nauseatingly special.  HA!!  He was also a genius.  His high school GPA was over a 4.0.  He's always been someone I admired and respected because he has always given 110% to anything he has ever attempted and/or accomplished.

Last night, he preached a message titled:  "Move Over Mediocre".  It was awesome.  It was inspiring.  It was challenging!  There is no time to just half-heartedly move through this life and not doing ALL we physically, mentally and spiritually can to survive.  We must be wiling to be the VERY BEST we can be, no matter the cost.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Amy said...

girl, get yourself some barefoot contessa and Giada De Laurentiis cook books. They will change your life. Easy ingredients and soo soo good!! congrats on the pots and pans, meeting the PW and your brother. Love the brother part the best :) xoxo

Bonny said...

Amber loved your post! The pic was great with PW!
You have to do Amy's Pot Roast. She uses a crock pot which I don't have! I used PW method of browning the roast for oven and Amy's recipe of ingredients! It is the best roast! I am not a fried food person but my hubby is so I just do veggies & salad for me! Sounds like you are just having so much fun!!! Loved the info about your brother!
Blessed blessed! PS: Your Mother is a beautiful lady!!

Kari Morgan said...

Love this post! Can't wait to hear all about your cooking endeavors. I too admire PW....and LOVE the PD cookware especially in that blue color!

Lana said...

Let me know if you find a way to make PW weight watchers friendly. Love me some Pioneer Woman but oh me oh my it's not healthy.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Haha! I love an UNmediocre woman! Glad you're having fun in the kitchen, especially with Mom. Cherish every moment, especially with photos of her. You won't regret that!

The only thing on my refrigerator is this quote: "Mediocrity is dull."

And the Crock Pot, whoa, do I love my two: one small, one large. Put the stuff in and go have fun. Set the table, and later, eat! Mmmm! You'll wonder why you waited so long to get one, seriously. I have much more fun things to do than stand over a hot stove!