September 9, 2011

Oh Be Careful Little Ears

There is nothing like a reality check from your kids.  You know the kind I'm talking about...there they are playing, when all of a sudden, they get upset and start yelling and pointing with angry eyes and mouth to their toy or worse...their playmate.  Where did they learn that behavior??

Well, sadly, they probably learned it from you.  You don't think so?  Check yourself.  Next time you are upset or angry...watch your words, your actions, your facial expressions.  Bingo.  They are a perfect mirror image of what they see at home.

I didn't believe this was true for the longest time, until my son came along.  I learned very quickly to watch what I said or how I reacted to things when he was young...because I was/am a lazy parent.  LOL!  I don't want to have to fix something later down the road--I'd rather it never become a problem! 

Your children also have the distinct ability to copy the positive behavior too.  Jon used to love to "preach" when he was less than 2 years old.  He had a stuffed chair that he'd flip over and use as a pulpit and he'd bang away and raise his voice and "preach" to me and Trent.  He was copying his daddy.  Ella is the same way.  She has this habit of walking on her tiptoes.  I think she is copying me wearing heels.  HAHA! 

One of the greatest blessings of raising your kids in the church is the fact that they learn how to praise without one single solitarty lesson or Sunday School class.  Jon received the Holy Ghost when he was 2 1/2 years old.  He got it at my parent's home in Claremore, OK.  Trent was studying in a spare bedroom and heard Jon repeating over and over: "I praise you Jesus, I praise you Jesus".  It took us a while to figure out where he learned that...but it was from me!  I say that all the time and didn't realize it!  It wasn't long before he was crying.  And as real as anyone has ever received it, leaning over my mother's vacuum cleaner, Jon began speaking in tongues.  He had no idea what had happened or how important it was, but God, just could not let the praise go unnoticed...and so, He gave Jon a gift that will never grow old, be out of style, or lose it's value. 

Not to be outdone, Ella has taken on worship as well.  Quite frequently, she can be seen raising her hands, clapping, saying "amen" and jumping up and down at church.  I encourage this as much as possible.  Recently, at a Home Missions church, Ella noticed a saint speaking in tongues.  She stared, transfixed on the posture of this lady and the sounds coming out of her mouth...and there, she began copying what this lady was doing.  Since then, she has "spoke in tongues" several times and I am thinking she is trying to one up her brother by receiving the Holy Ghost before he did!  Won't that be something?!  And if, you happen to get lucky enough to sit with Ella during church...look out, if she "feels led", she is likely to lay hands on you and pray for you!

This photo was taken last week during our church prayer time. 


Photobucket

1 comment:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I, too, have an adorable photo of my Danielle with her arm around a little boy while they're bawling in prayer together. It's precious.

My mother-in-law was "playing church" as a little girl with her siblings and she received the Holy Ghost for the first time that day, too.

Lovely post. Yes! We all HOME school!