July 17, 2018

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Recently, we were temporary bird owners.

Ok, so we didn't actually "own" them, but for some reason, this momma bird claimed our 5th Wheel hitch as the prime location to create a nest and lay her eggs.

To be honest, I didn't even realize we had "pets" until one day, while ducking under the 5th Wheel, the momma bird swooped past me, nearly scaring the life out of me.

Admittedly, it didn't strike me as that significant.  "Oh yay!  We have a little bird family!"  Then, it dawned on me...  "We have a bird family and of all the times of the year, this is the time we are preparing to pull to Watsonville for our Campmeeting.  "What are we going to do?"

As a family, we began discussing what, if any, options we had as far as moving our little momma bird and her babies.


After the babies had hatched, we noticed the momma bird was spending less time in the nest.  By now, the babies had little fluffy feathers and were able to stay warm without momma's help.

Still, we were running close to the deadline to either move them and let those poor baby birds be abandoned by momma or maybe not even pulling to Campmeeting.  Yes, we are semi-extreme animal lovers and not pulling down to Campmeeting, in order for those baby birds to survive, was definitely an option we considered.

Each day, we would check the nest and we would see those little baby birds snuggled in there together, and momma was hovering close by on a nearby trailer.

One day, Trent noticed that the baby birds were no longer in their nest.  I assumed that they were out for a flying lesson and would return.  We waited all that day.  No birdies.  Coincidentally, it was also the same week we needed to pull our trailer.

Now, I am a big believer in how carefully and perfectly God orchestrates our lives.  I have witnessed way too many times that God has timed, planned and executed the most amazing outcome in various situations.  But, I had never really considered how He is capable of not only moving in working in OUR lives, but also the lives of the creatures of this earth.  Yes, that scripture is true...His eye really is on the sparrow (or the type of bird we housed for several weeks).

After we were extra triple sure they were permanently gone, Trent took the nest out of its little cubby hole and inspected it.  Would you believe that momma bird had used MY HAIR to help build her nest?  I didn't even know that in some small way I was responsible for the well being of those babies.

Which brings me to this thought:  How often in life do we play a role in someone's future.  Maybe it's a small thing (hair in the nest), such as a kind word.  Maybe, it's much more significant, just like the momma bird's constant care and we invest hours of counsel, love, prayer and friendship in those around us.  But know this, as children of God, we ARE affecting someone.  Not just those close to us, but those that are bystanders in our lives.  I never had direct contact with that bird family--despite the momma trying to swoop down on me to keep me away, but a part of me was invested into their future.

It is critical that our lives reflect Him.  We must show love, which is the very definition of God, to everyone we come in contact with.  Our words should be weighed heavy before we let them fly from our lips.  Will this hurt or help?  Will this uplift and encourage? Will this cause confusion, pain and grief?  Will this reopen those wounds that have remained healed or buried for years?

God, help me to see others as You do.  Help me to see their potential, not their imperfections.  Help me to love them as You do.  Help me to control that part of me that wants to fix or correct all the wrong.  Encourage the "momma bird" in me to protect, nourish and guide those that are depending on me-whether they know it or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story
God’s timing is always perfect