February 21, 2013

Couponing: Keeping it Simple and Organized

I had to add this post regarding couponing.


We've all heard about the crazy extreme coupon people who have entire basements, garages and rooms in their homes designated to their "stockpile".  

What is a stockpile?  According to thefreedictionary.com, STOCKPILE can be defined as:  A supply stored for future use, usually carefully accrued and maintained.


While in theory this seems like an excellent idea, it can also be just too much!  Many of these people also donate to local charities or homeless shelters (which I think is awesome!!) and since they are getting some of their stockpile for free, it's a great way to practice your couponing skills AND help your community!

But, let's be realistic...most of us do not have the room, time or patience to invest in this kind of couponing.  I know I don't!  But I am interested in saving money!

So, to get started, here are some baby steps for you:

1.  Read this post:  Poor People Tickets.
2.  Get a notebook/binder.  I happened to have a spare one lying around so, I got mine free!  :)
3.  Get some baseball card pages.  Target has them for $5.  You get 30 pages, which is plenty to get started.
4.  Read this from the Krazy Coupon Lady Site:  Beginners  This is a GREAT site in general, but a very well put together set of info for newbies.  Highly recommend!!  
5. Make different sections for your binder--I used a list I stumbled upon online, but make sure your sections meet your needs.  If you don't have a baby--chances are, you don't need a "Baby" section in your binder (unless you shop for a friend).
6. Keep it NEAT!  Make sure your binder stays organized, if you pull a coupon and don't end up using it (because it wasn't on sale--duh!!), put it BACK!  It is super easy to get a stack of pulled coupons floating around in your binder that never get used because they cannot be found.  
7. Shop when you are going to be the least distracted.  I cannot concentrate and do the math if I am chasing the kids out of the toddler aisle (or cereal aisle), so I have my hubby help me keep them busy when we are out.  I missed a savings of $2.25 the other night because I got distracted.  I was so upset about that!!  Don't let it happen to you. HAHA!!

Most of all, have fun!  Don't let this stress you out!  Let it be a blessing to you and your family as you learn to save money!  And it couldn't hurt that your brain gets a whole new level of workout with all the math you get to do!  Couponing can keep you YOUNG!  (That might be a stretch, but it can't hurt!!) 

Photobucket

No comments: